Taking care of patients in medical field is known to be busy and hard works. In addition to taking care of patients, nursing staff also needs to collect and store the medical records for patients. Traditional hand-written paper is not used any more, but computer keyboard typing still is often and occupies part of the time of nursing staff. Smart healthcare improves the efficiencies of diagnosis, treatment and care processes and reduces costs through ICT in hospital and home care. Our solution can automatically parse, store, and transfer the data generated by bedside monitors in acute, critical wards and some general wards, such as Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Emergency Room (ER) and Postoperative Recovery Room (POR). The data include the patient’s physiological parameters and monitor’s technical parameters. Different monitors have different data transmission protocols even with the same HL7 version; it leads to the more IT management efforts in hospital. The system is customized to meet the specification of connection between the system and hospital with a simple configuration file. Due to the introduction of the PIDS system, the data of the patients is automatically parsed and uploaded based on the API provided by the hospital. The complete data is also stored in the local database, which include vital sign, alarm, and waveform, can be used as a source for early warning system or AI systems in clinical research.
PIDS is developed on the Microsoft .NET Core and C#. The system can be installed on a virtual machine (VM) or a physical device. The system runs on the windows system and supports Windows 10. Modularized design means one program with a different profile for a different hospital. The system interfaces with hospital systems through APIs, which are HIS, NIS, CIS, CDSS and other hospital systems, to provide not only patients’ physiological parameters (vital signs) and technical parameters (monitor parameters), but also waveforms, such as ECG, Pulse and respiratory etc.. The system can also provide waveform drawings and its data export as csv format. Currently, the system supports a series of monitors manufactured by mindray and Spacelabs.
The functions are as followed:
1. Due to Microsoft’s tool for development and installation, the system is safe and stable.
2. Modular design and fast deployment make the system easily maintain.
3. Through the APIs provided by hospitals, the system can connect to receiving port of the hospital then parse and upload the data of patients continuously and automatically.
4. The system stores integrated data of patients, and it can be a data source to provide the hospital systems such as HIS, NIS, CIS and CDSS applications.
5. Technical alarms from monitors provide information to engineering staff of hospital to watch the status of the equipment remotely followed by a quick respond for maintenance needs. Besides, the alarms statistics is used for management purpose.
6. The structured data stored in the database is easy to query and export, and it can be used for further clinical research.